By Visar Dee Berry, Doyen Sanctuary Clan
Tribal Doyen 2004
There are many ways to honor your ancestors. Here are a few ideas. Can you think of more?
- Use the phrases and sayings and teachings given to you over the years by your ancestors. You'll be amazed at how often you use something given to you by a parent, grandparent, etc. Acknowledge where the bits of knowledge came from, and pass that on too.
- Give a blessing dedicated to your ancestors during special occasions, gatherings, and/or meals.
- Pick a special day each year to bring out old photos, slides, movies, etc. of your ancestors to either discuss or ponder over.
- Recognize and acknowledge the things you´ve physically inherited, both the good and the bad.
- Tell stories you heard about your ancestors over the years.
- Share home remedies and superstitions you grew up with. If possible, look for the source.
- Sit with an elder ancestor and ask them questions about when they were young, memories of their parents and other relations, etc.
Tell your memories to your children, siblings, nieces and nephews, etc.